Stanford Township, population 3,729 and fourth largest town in the area (50.10 sq. miles) is situated in the northeastern part of Dutchess County. It is bounded on the north by Milan and Pine Plains, on the east by North East and Amenia, on the south by Washington, and on the west by Clinton.
Part of the Great Nine Partners tract, granted by the King in 1697, it was formed as a township from part of Washington on March 12, 1793. It is largely a rural area of horsefarming. Unincorporated Hamlets include: Stanfordville and Bangall.
Total miles of highway: 100.92, Town 63.43, County 28, State 11.45.
The town is mostly in the Pine Plains District with some properties in the Millbrook, Rhinebeck and Webutuck School Districts. The Town’s Historian is Dot Burdick, she can be reached at 845 868 1310, option #*.